We love beans and add them to all sorts of dishes like soups stews, pastas, risottos, and salads like this one. In this salad we toss white beans and tuna — a classic Italian combination — with all the ingredients that you’d normally find in a traditional Greek salad, including cucumber, tomatoes, green pepper, red onion and kalamata olives. The dressing, too, is redolent of a Greek salad with olive oil, garlic, lemon and oregano. The end result is a delicious, rustic salad with fresh flavors and wonderful textures that encapsulates the essence of Mediterranean cuisine.
You can use any kind of white bean in this salad including cannellini or navy beans. We mostly use canned beans for convenience, but once in a while we’ll boil up a batch of dried beans, divide them into portions, and freeze. They’re ready to be defrosted overnight in the fridge, or microwaved for a couple of minutes.
Here’s the recipe.
White beans appear in all manner of culinary creations from around the Mediterranean. Here’s a selection of our recipes that feature white beans for you to try:
- Italian stew with white beans, artichoke hearts and olives
- White bean, sausage and mushroom pasta with tomato-ricotta sauce
- Risotto with pumpkin, spinach, cannellini beans and walnuts
- Pesto bruschetta topped with tuna, white bean, cherry tomato and artichoke salad
- Minestrone soup
- White bean, artichoke and sun-dried tomato dip
- Greek spinach and white bean soup
- Warm bean and chorizo salad
- White bean pesto pasta with fast-roasted tomatoes and zucchini
- Greek-style pasta with white beans, walnuts, spinach and olives
- Spanish potato, tuna and white bean salad
- Tuscan tomato and white bean soup